Conflict Prevention and Resolution
Unfortunately, sometimes disagreements happen, not only in our personal lives but also in our schools, committees, and associations. It’s important to remember that as a community, we come from a wide range of backgrounds, life experiences and biases, and this impacts how we interact with those around us. Disagreements can happen when there are differences of opinion, these can usually be resolved with discussion between those involved. Sometimes a disagreement can escalate causing discomfort and concern for those involved, this can happen at any time. To minimise the risk of conflict within a School Association Committee try to:
- Identify how you would like to be treated.
- Consider what you would class as unacceptable behaviour.
- Think about body language, and how this is important when talking to others
- Think about what respect means to you and how it is shown.
By working through this process with your School Association Committee, you are on the way to developing a code of behaviour and meeting norms, that set a standard for behaviour that everyone feels comfortable and happy with.
If conflict does happen:
- Pause and, breathe before deciding on your next step,
- Give yourself time to process the situation. Stop and write down what happened in detail – stick to the facts. This acts as a record and is an excellent way to process what happened. • Work out what would be the most appropriate way of dealing with issue.
- Communicate your opinion clearly without being aggressive.
- Focus on the issue, don’t make it personal.
- Listen to the other person’s point of view without interrupting.
- Focus on working towards a common goal.
- Remember not to just focus on what you disagree with but also what you agree on.
It’s important to remember that we are all here to make our schools a better place and to do this we need, build positive relationships in our committees. Everyone’s opinions and experiences can be useful and working together with mutual respect and understanding I believe we can achieve great things.