The month of June was a very busy month for myself and the Management Committee of TASSO. There was also the completion of Term 2 – giving students and teachers a well deserved break before moving into Term 3.
TASSO Committee Members and staff attended and participated in a multitude of forums and meetings during the month of June ensuring that the parent voice is heard, and the value of family engagement acknowledged – in particular:
- There were several meetings with members of the Department of Education (DoE) to ensure communication is maintained between the department and TASSO.
- There was an introductory meeting with DoE Community Liaison Managers Debbie Schofield-Gavin and Adrian Ferrier
- ACSSO Member Reps Teleconference
- Move Well East Well Steering Committee
- TASSO Management Committee Members and Operations Manager attended School Association meetings x 2
- UTAS Course Advisory Committee Meeting
- Suicide Prevention Community Network Project – meeting with Leader of the project Virginia Bashford
- TASSO Management Committee Meeting – 15 June 2019
There was increased activity during the month of June with the media – fielding calls about the cleaners and grounds-peoples’ industrial action, mental health in schools , enrolment boundaries, teachers’ industrial action , school infrastructure , class sizes , mobile phones in schools and the delay in getting psychologist appointments for students.
The Management Committee and TASSO staff have also seen an increase in contact from School Association Committees and other stakeholders. It is pleasing to see a marked increase in TASSO resources being utilised and that TASSO is achieving their mission in providing guidance and support for parents and students in state schools and colleges and assistance to school associations and their committees. It also important to note TASSO also works closely with the relevant departments to aid in the resolution of concerns raised by stakeholders.
As some of you would know August is when we customarily hold our Conference and Annual General Meeting. This year the Annual General Meeting has been moved to the 20 September 2019 and will be held at the TASSO site – 15 Rowitta Road Lindisfarne 7015. Information about the AGM has been provided on our Website homepage, located below ‘Who Are We?’. The next Conference will be held in 2020 – watch this space.
TASSO has welcomed the appointment of Tom Preston to the part-time role of Communication Assistant. Tom’s assistance with the ongoing management and development of social media platforms will be of great value.
I would like to remind everyone that if any School Association would like TASSO Representatives to come to their meetings or visit their school, please contact the office .
As a parent or guardian of a student in a state school or college, with a concern and are looking for information, please do not hesitate in contacting TASSO on 6243 7718 during business hours and having a confidential conversation.
Here is to a successful Term 3 for all students, families and communities.